Friday, September 17, 2010

Need Help upgrading my Mac?

I've resently get an old powermac G3 266mhz (beige type). It have mac os 10.2. I know that I can upgrade the cpu(not interested yet), ram, video, and complex drive. My question is can I remove the EIDE rock-hard drive and just install a different EIDE Hard Drive, or do I requirement to invest in a controler card? If I don't want a controler card, how big of a hard drive can I install? I want to use this domestic device for mainly music station. I wil be doing basis office work and some gamming (emulators). However, I am interested within using it as a DV(digital video) station as well. Can you relate me if this unit is upright for DV as well, and will it feel a DVD burner?

Need Help upgrading my Mac?

gosh mac needs a upgrading ,sorry i cant oblige you on this i dont have mac
DUDE, why didn't you catch a dell? Those are a whole lot faster!!!!!!!!!!!
Any IDE complicated drive will work just fine. The DVD burner might be a problem. OS X "restricts" non Apple burners from burning so you'll stipulation to either take a used Apple SuperDrive or find the same make/model as an OEM.



As for it's speed it will still run iMovie but you will own noticeable "drags".
I estimate Apple has just this minute started to support third-party DVD burners, but that's in OS X "Tiger". I don't suppose your PowerMac will ever run "Tiger". Here's all the info you can ask for...
You can make the addition of any IDE hard drive into the stock slot for a drive on the G3, however, due to firmware restrictions, singular the first 128GB will be "seen". If you want to install a hard drive to be exact larger, you will need to use a PCI controller card.



The 266MHz G3 will be too slow to do any video editing on it. I'd spring for a nice, used G4 within the 700 to 1GHz range, minimum, for video editing.

No comments:

Post a Comment